Friday, September 28, 2012

Don't Forget To Lock The Door.


Conrad G

September 28th, 2012

Honors English 9 Yellows

After coming home late from the office one night, I opened the door quietly and went to the bedroom, as not to wake  my sleeping wife and child. I lie next to my wife and fell asleep. Later in the night, I heard my son walk in. "Dad," he whispered, "there's someone in my room." I turned on the light in the hallway, and followed him into his room. I turned on the light. "See Leo? Nothing to be afraid of!" I said as I smiled warmly. He gave me a nervous  look, and went back to bed. I woke up the next morning to my alarm clock blaring, as any other morning might begin. Being late October, the sun had yet to come up at my ,waking hour, since I had an hour and a half commute to my day job. I walked over to the door to flick on the light switch. What I then saw in the light was horrific. My lovely wife was a ghostly pale grey, spotted with the dark crimson shade of dried blood. Her beautiful face, once full of life and happiness, was dead and stained with an expression of utter fear. Her gorgeous eyes, once bright and young, now dull and looking off into the distance. Her neck was slit open jaggedly, as if ripped by some gruesome monster. When I pulled off the covers, I found that she her torso had been flayed open, not by a knife but with a superior amount of brute force. Her chest cavity was hollow: her heart and been removed. Unlike the rest of the mutilation, her heart looked as if it was removed very carefully. A note was left folded where her heart once was. In black ink it read "Don't forget to lock the door." I ran to Leo's room, my heart pounding in adrenaline. I hit the light switch and ripped off the covers. "LEO!" I screamed, praying that this was a dream, just a nightmare, and that it wasn't real, that this wasn't actually happening. This can't be real, I thought. In a moment I'll wake up, Paige will be next to me, and I'll go off to work, and she'll drive Leo off to school. But it wasn't so. Nothing but a note lie in the bed where my beloved son, my only son, Leo, once slept in his peaceful childhood bliss and oblivion. I unfolded the note, my hands trembling. "I saved the little piggy for later." I turned around to run downstairs and call 911. I saw the glowing red eyes peering out from the closet with malevolence, smiling with its teeth sharp like doctors needles. But I didn't see it soon enough.
This story was well written because it provides suspense, lulls you into a false sense of security, before shocking and scaring you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment